2006 Episcopal Convention

A joint effort by the Utah Deputation to capture the action, feelings, and photos of this historic General Convention.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Greetings from the Archbishop of Canterbury

The ABC (as we affectionately call him) was unable to be here, and sent the Archbishop of York to bring his greetings. This afternoon (Tuesday, June 13), the ABY provided some personal reflections first - he was born in Uganda in 1949 and was not expected to live the night. His growth has been miraculous, and I can't begin to share his whole story with you. I do want to relate two points he made.

First,the Archbishop of York compared the good earth into which we plant seeds with Christ, the water and food that we provide to the seeds we plant as the love of God and the power of the Holy Spirit, and the seeds as ourselves. The sturdy oak, standing on firm ground, was once the tiny nut, planted into that ground, and sustained by food and water. Without Christ, the love of God, and the power of the Holy Spirit, we cannot grow into a sturdy oak.

Second, he told a story about a black man speaking to a white man. "When I am born, I am black. When I grow, I am black. When I am in the sun, I am black. When I am cold, I am black. When I am sick, I am black. When I am jaundiced, I am black. When I die, I am black. When I decompose, I am black. You, however, are white. When you are born, you are white. When you grow, you are white. When you are in the sun, you are brown. When you are cold, you are blue. When you are sick, you are off-color. When you are jaundiced, you are yellow. When you die, you are purple. When you decompose, you are black. And you have the nerve to call me colored?"

The Archbishop of Canterbury's greetings to Conventions are found on the the following site:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_75771_ENG_HTM.htm

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toni,
Thanks for all the info so far. I love the joke told by the Bishop of York--- Glad you met Katherine Jefferts Schori. I am grateful she was willing to allow her name to be put forth.
I am interested if the hearing for the resolution Dave is sponsoring re: Native American Ministry and the renewal of the decade of Remembrance, Recognition and Reconciliation has been scheduled? This resolution came out of the Paths Crossing Conference here in Whiterocks.
I will arrive in the afternoon on Thursday---so will join you later that day.
Say hello to everyone of our delegation. Sue duffield

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think I have my sermon for Sunday -- and the joke was mildly hilarious! Thanks, Toni -- Jessica+

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toni,
Thanks for all the comments that you and Lee have posted so far. This is the most I have felt connected to the General Convention. You make me feel as if I am right there with you. Great job!
Mary Janda

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home