2006 Episcopal Convention

A joint effort by the Utah Deputation to capture the action, feelings, and photos of this historic General Convention.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Monday in Columbus

Hello everyone!

I got registered and certified this morning. I've been to many conventions, and this was the smoothest I've ever seen. Lots of people working the registration area, lots of volunteers to steer us in the right direction. And everyone smiling!

After registration I spent a couple of hours in the exhibit hall. Wow. Everything from fair trade goods from all over the world to formal vestments and accessories, to books, to information about anything you can imagine. Anita Catron, a Third Order Franciscan and Vestry member from All Saints, is here helping a friend of hers from Arizona with a booth that sells wonderful t-shirts and other items, with all the money going to relief projects. I also got introduced to Bishop Carlos from Mexico - he is apparently an honorary member of our deputation and I look forward to hearing his comments and insights on this Convention. I hear tell that Rev Bradley Wirth, formerly of All Saints and now in Montana, is present although I haven't seen him.

Rev Fred Quinn is in fine form - I saw him several times in the exhibit hall. First he suggested I take a picture of the Orthodox priests at their booth, looking, in Fred's words, "as if they had slept in their cassocks." His next thought, after seeing several oddly colored vestments, is that we ought to have a "Tackiest Vestment" contest. Wonder who would enter?

I'm off to hear the opening address by Presiding Bishop Frank Griswald and President of the House George Werner. And then to orientation. More later...

PS - I have been taking pictures but haven't yet figured out how to post them to this site. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home