2006 Episcopal Convention

A joint effort by the Utah Deputation to capture the action, feelings, and photos of this historic General Convention.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Reflections on the PB Election from the Rt Rev Otis Charles, Retired


Sunday, June 18th, Father's, Day we chose a mother to lead the Church as Presiding Bishop. I cast my ballot for Katharine Schori with hope yet not daring to believe we would elect a woman. Actually, there was a lot of reflective conversation before the election which went like, "I'd vote for Katharine but she can't get elected and I don't want to throw away my vote."

I was almost convinced until I realized not to vote for Katharine would be coming from fear.

As the voting proceeded, we sang hymns, listened to scripture, prayed and quietly received the results of each ballot: 44, 49, 68, 88, 95 (an election!) As we waited to hear that the Deputies had confirmed the election of the first woman to serve as Presiding Bishop, I recalled Phoebe Griswold's words to us Saturday evening, "You can be proud to be Episcopalians" and I thought, "We can be proud to be Utah Episcopalians." We helped prepare the Church for this great day.

Otis+

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carolyn and Otis,

I was deeply moved by both of your messages to those of us "back home" in Utah. It must have been an incredible experience.

Otis, your comment about fear went straight to my heart!

I give thanks to God that we have been blessed by two bishops who are not afraid to allow the Spirit to move them boldly.

Love to both of you and to the entire deputation....Ann

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home