2006 Episcopal Convention

A joint effort by the Utah Deputation to capture the action, feelings, and photos of this historic General Convention.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

First Reactions to the PB Election from the Utah Deputation

Wow! What a wonderful thing. I fully support this election of the new Presiding Bishop - a support based on her talent, temperament, and grace. Jay Stretch

This is fantastic! It far exceeds my fondest dreams of what this General Convention might accomplish. It is a very strong and affirming step in faith! Steve Hutchinson

Oh, My God! I can't believe it. Just when I thought I had guessed how the election would go - the Holy Spirit surprises us. This is so incredible for the Church. Thanks be to God. Lee Shaw

The Leadership of the Episcopal Church has worked so hard to have us be open minded, responding to the church as it is (as multi cultural) and to stay open to the Holy Spirit. It must have worked because the most amazing thing has happened. No one expected Katharine Jefferts-Schori to be elected as the Presiding Bishop. It wasn't the time for a woman, too many other struggles, and she hadn't been a priest or bishop long enough. However, no one denies she is smart and spiritual enough. It is a red letter day. This convention celebrates the 30th anniversary of the ordination of women, so what a time to elect a fabulous leader who happens to be a woman. It's a thrill for us to have her be our neighbor in Nevada. It reminds me of the election of Bishop Irish - same kind of excitement. Praise God! Susan Wiltsey

The mood in the House after the announcement can only be described as ELECTRIC - what an amaxing moment! What a gift Katharine Jefferts-Schori is to our church - she has amazing gifts and I am excited to see where her leadership will take us. I thought I knew which way the election was going to go, and I am totally blown away - but it was a very, very good way. What a day! And what a future we have before us! Karen Cramer

Having met our Presiding Bishop Elect at the Province VIII meeting this year, I talked with her a couple of times at this Convention. I feel she is a very capable leader, strong enough to work constructively with the international problems of our Church, and to bring pastoral leadership to the Church in the United States. I feel she is a powerful person, and will do a very good job. Russ Babcock

Having been with Bishop Katharine in 19 feet of snow at the ordination of Dick Snyder and the Burial Service for Bishop Plummer when she flew herself to the high desert of Southern Utah, I know her to be a person who will go the extra lengths for pastoral care and service. The church is truly blessed by her election as Presiding Bishop. A new day dawns in the life of our church. As was said on the floor of the House of Deputies, "Another glass ceiling has shattered." Dave Bailey

My first reaction was an exclamation and shout as I grabbed Toni sitting next to me and then...tears of joy that our church had the courage to elect such a fine person.
Jim and I were privileged to come to know Katharine at the Paths Crossing conference on the Piaute Reservation in Nevada in April 2005. I found her to be a woman of great intellect with a commanding presence. She has the ability to articulate the Gospel in simple yet profound way. I am additionally fascinated by the fact that Katharine pilots her own plane. It is an exciting and new day for our church of which I am so proud to be a member. Sue Duffield

In closing, let me just say that the mood around here is very fine. I skipped out of the last bit of deliberation in the House of Deputies to go scrounge up a couple of bottles of champagne and some cheese. Our deputation and some friends are here in Dave Bailey's suite toasting women and men and the Church. I am so touched with this election. I met Bishop Carolyn outside of the House and we just looked at each other and cried through our smiles. Thank you to everyone that made this trip possible for me. Toni Marie Sutliff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home